Personnel Checks receive a lot of questions regarding when to renew DBS checks, we provide you with the top 7 things you need to know!
- DBS Checks Don’t Expire
DBS checks don’t actually contain an expiry date, contrary to what a lot of people think, however it is completely dependent on what the employer requires in regards to issue dates of DBS checks.
- Some employers request DBS check renewals every 6 months
Employers are in their right to require staff to renew their checks after a certain amount of time, some choose to be as often as 6 months whereas some are annually. The time frame is totally dependent on the employer.
- The DBS suggests renewal times for employers
The DBS say that if someone changes roles within an organisation it may be necessary for their check to be renewed. i.e. if someone worked in a hospital and moved into a role that has direct contact with people in a vulnerable position, it would be necessary for them to undertake a new higher level check such as an Enhanced Disclosure.
The DBS also suggests that when an individual changes organisations, no matter of their job role, they should also have their check renewed.
- Some regulatory bodies have set rules for when checks must be renewed
Organisations such as the CQC require companies/organisations under their regulations to renew their staff checks after a certain amount of time. You will need to check this with your industry specific regulator.
- Ofsted have set regulations that state when new checks are required
Ofsted require a new check if a person who is already known to them applies to register a new childcare provision or takes on a new role within an existing registration where any of the following apply:
- The new role gives the applicant further access to children or they are given more responsibility
- There has been a gap of more than three months between leaving a previous position and starting a new one
- There are or has been concerns about an individual which may affect their suitability.
- The application process for a renewal is exactly the same as a new check
There is no fast pass or easy way to renew a check, it’s the same process as carrying out a new check.
- There is an update service for individuals
The DBS have created the Update Service which enables individuals to pay an annual fee of £13 to enable a portable DBS check which they can move from role to role.
For more information on DBS check renewals, call and speak to one of our advisors on 01254 355688.