Portability of CRB/DBS Checks were due to be introduced in early 2013 but have been delayed until Summer due to the ongoing Court of Appeal Judgement on the filtering of certain old and minor convictions and cautions.
We have been informed by the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service), formerly the CRB, that the ‘Update Service’ is expected to be introduced in the next few months.
How will this benefit you?
- Instant online checks – no need to wait for certificates to arrive
- No more application forms to fill in
- Save you time and money
What is the Update Service?
This is a subscription service which lets individuals keep DBS Certificates up to date, so it can be used on more than one occasion. An employer can then carry out instant online checks for free on individuals to see if any new information has been added to their certificate since they last had a check. This will be known as a Status Check.
Status Checks will save an enormous amount of time and money as employers will no longer need to wait weeks for DBS Certificates to come back and new employees could start work right away.
How Can You Carry Out a Status Check?
Before you can carry out a Status Check on an individual you must ensure that;
- The individual is subscribed to the update service; if not, you will need to apply for a DBS Check for the individual. (The annual subscription fee is yet to be confirmed but will be around £10.)
- You have the applicants consent either verbal or written
- You have seen the original DBS Certificate and confirm it is the same type and level as the one you are legally entitled to; if not, you will need to apply for a DBS Check for the applicant
- You have checked the applicants identity and the name on the original DBS Certificate matches their identity
- You have noted the DBS Certificate reference number, the applicants name and date of birth
- You comply with the DBS Code of practice, which means having a policy on the recruitment of ex offenders. See a sample here. This policy must be made available to applicants.
What are the Results of a Status Check?
There are 4 possible outcomes after carrying out a Status Check;
The Certificate did find any criminal record for the individual and remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue
The certificate was blank as this person does not have any criminal history and no new information has been found since its issue. Certificate is current and valid.
The Certificate remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue
The individual does have a criminal record but no new information has been found since its issue. Certificate is current and valid.
The Certificate is no longer current. Apply for a new DBS Check to get the most up-to-date information
New information about the individuals’ criminal history has come to light since the certificate was issued and you need to apply for a new BDS Check to see the new information.
The details entered did not match those held on the DBS system. Check and try again.
The individual is not subscribed to the Update Service OR the certificate had been removed from the Update Service by the individual OR you have entered incorrect information.
What Else do You Need to Know?
- You can pay for or reimburse your employees annual update subscription fee
- The individual will be able to log on to their account and see who has carried out a Status Check on their behalf
- You may need to review your employment and recruitment policies to incorporate Status Checks
For further help and advice on the DBS Update Service or DBS Status Checks call Personnel Checks on 01254 355688
Leave a comment
- Background Checks
- Barred Lists
- Basic Disclosure Certificate
- care act
- Certificate Numbers
- chief executive
- CRB Check
- criminal record check
- DBS Adult First
- dbs application
- DBS Application Form
- DBS certificate
- dbs check
- DBS check
- DBS Checking
- dbs checks
- DBS Updates
- Disclosure & Barring Service
- Disclosure Scotland
- driving licence
- mental health
- Paternity Leave
- personnel checks
- Portable CRB Checks
- private tutor
- self employment
- Update Service