1. 6,000 (19%) enquiries were about the general processing that lies behind a DBS check.
We have lots of information on our website about different parts of the process that will help you resolve your query. View our FAQS
2. Over 4,500 (15%) enquiries were regarding eligibility, and no one sector or job role is more common than another.
Most of the queries come from employers asking whether particular roles are eligible for a DBS check or from applicants who have either been asked to apply, or are in the process of applying for a role which may require a DBS check.
Check out the DBS eligibility guidance for more information
3. 3,500 (11%) enquiries are about the Update Service, how to subscribe and how long an applicant has to subscribe.
Applicants can register online as soon they have an application form reference number. This can be requested when the DBS Check is applied for.
Or alternatively, applicants can register with their certificate number which is on a DBS certificate.
Please note - You only have 14 days to register for the Update Service once your certificate has been issued.
Registration cost £13 and lasts for one year. The applicant will receive an ID number along with all information needed to log on to the service.
4. Nearly 2,500 (8%) enquiries are about the progress of an application, which can be monitored via the online DBS tracking service.
This is free to use and available 24/7 all you need is the application reference number and the applicants date of birth.
5. Over 1200 (4%) enquiries are about UK applicants who live abroad and overseas applicants.
Employers can ask applicants from overseas to get a criminal records check or ‘Certificate of Good Character’ from their country of origin. These are not the same as a DBS check.
More information about DBS Checks for overseas applicants.
Our aim is to make the criminal record checking process as easy and stress free for you as possible.
We think we've got most parts covered, but if you have anymore queries which aren't mentioned in this post please contact our advisors on 01254 355688.