We're operating as normal during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. To see more information on how we're managing the situation - CLICK HERE

Request a callback - Open 8.30am to 5pm Mon – Fri

DBS Check Appeals and Disputes

Personnel Checks work closely on behalf of the DBS and are committed to providing a high standard of customer service and welcome all comments or suggestions on how we might improve the DBS service.

Content of a DBS certificate can be challenged or disputed if it contains an error, or inaccurate or irrelevant information. Challenges and disputes should be made immediately by contacting us or the DBS and should be raised within 3 months of the date of issue on the certificate.

The applicant, or a person who has a legitimate interest in the accuracy of a certificate such as the counter signatory; employer; or licensing authority may raise the dispute after discussing the reasons for the dispute with the applicant.

Appeal against a mistake
If you disagree with the results on a certificate, whether it is the accuracy of the personal details or the facts of any conviction, advise the DBS or Personnel Checks immediately.

Applicants and Employers may both be able to appeal against a mistake made in error following a certificate release or barring decision on a DBS check. The decision could be changed if the appeal is successful.

You can appeal if you believe there’s been a mistake in either:

  • the records provided, like wrong or irrelevant information on convictions
  • personal information, like a name or employer’s details

The police may ask for fingerprints to prove identity if there’s a mistake in the records.

How to appeal
Report the mistake within 3 months of issue of the DBS check certificate.

For mistakes on records and on personal information
You will need to complete a DBS Certificate Dispute Form which can be obtained directly from the DBS. You can call the DBS on 03000200190 or call Personnel Checks on 01254 355688

If you are still dissatisfied with the outcome of an appeal, please call our Operations Manager at Personnel Checks who will be able to help advising of the next steps to take.

Click here to see examples of types of disputes which could occur on a DBS Check