We're operating as normal during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. To see more information on how we're managing the situation - CLICK HERE


DVLA Licence Changes: How are DBS checks affected?

The DVLA has announced that they will be scrapping the paper counterpart of driving licences and will begin to issue only a photocard to full license holders – opting instead to store any additional information on an electronic database.

The changes, which we reported on earlier in the year before the plans were postponed, will come in to effect from 8th June 2015.

From this date the paper document will hold no legal standing and can be destroyed, but keep hold of your existing photocard as this will remain valid!

Due to these changes the Disclosure and Barring Service will be updating its identity checking guidelines, and a photo-card licence without the paper counterpart will be classed as a Group 1 primary identity document.

Currently, DBS applicants are required to produce 3 documents; 1 from Group and 2 supporting documents from Group 1 or 2 (one of which must include current address)

Other accepted documentation includes:

Group 1 – Primary Trusted Identity Credentials

  • Valid Passport
  • Official Birth Certificate (UK)
  • Biometric Residence Permit (UK)
  • Adoption Certificate (UK)

Group 2a – Trusted Government/State Issued Documents

  • Old style paper Driving License (UK)
  • Certified copy of Birth Certificate (UK & Channel Islands) - issued within 12 months of date of birth
  • Marriage/Civil Partnership Certificate (UK)
  • HM Forces ID Card (UK)
  • Fire Arms Licence (UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man)

Group 2b – Financial/Social History Documents

  • Mortgage Statement (UK or EEA) (issued in the last 12 months)
  • Bank/Building Society Statement (UK or EEA) (less than 3 months)
  • Bank/Building Society Account Opening Confirmation Letter (UK)
  • Credit Card Statement (UK or EEA) (less than 3 months)
  • Financial Statement - eg. pension, endowment, ISA (issued in the last 12 months)
  • P45/P60 Statement UK (issued in the last 12 months)
  • Council Tax Statement (UK)
  • Work Permit/Visa (UK) (UK Residence Permit)
  • Letter of Sponsorship from future employment provider (Non-UK/Non-EEA only – valid only for applicants residing outside of the UK at time of application)
  • Utility Bill
  • Benefit Statement - eg. Child Allowance, Pension (less than 3 months)
  • A document from Central/ Local Government/ Government Agency/ Local Authority giving entitlement (UK & Channel Islands)- eg. from the Department for Work and Pensions, the Employment Service , Customs & Revenue, Job Centre, Job Centre Plus, Social Security
  • EU National ID Card
  • Cards carrying the PASS accreditation logo (UK)
  • Letter from Head Teacher or College Principal (16-19 year olds in full time education - only used in exceptional circumstances when all other documents have been exhausted)

It is important to note these documents are minimum ID requirements and do not constitute the entire identity verification process of DBS applicants.

If you have any other questions about the DBS checking system, head to our info centre

Leave a comment